The days of bringing donuts, biscuits, and pastries to the office are steadily declining in favour of providing employees with nourishing snacks that promote wellness and healthy living. A basket of fruit in the office not only offers employees a tasty snack during the day, it also lets them know that they are appreciated, and that their health is important.
Eating seasonally is the best way to ensure that the fruit you’re getting is at its freshest and its best. Fruitful Office makes it easy to get fresh fruit delivered each day, and they use local teams to make sure you get local fruit. They have strict quality control, and their Seasonal Mix always includes grapes, bananas and mixed apples, as well as 3-4 extra seasonal fruit types that vary throughout the year.
Although the benefits of fruit are well known, certain fruits are better than others for boosting energy and protecting our immunity in the workplace. The list below highlights just a few ways different kinds of fruit can help protect and benefit the immune system, as well as giving employees an energy boost to let them be at their best.
- Cherries help to calm the nervous system.
- Grapes relax blood vessels.
- Peaches are rich in potassium, fluoride, and iron.
- Apples help the body develop resistance against infections. The old adage holds true – “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”!
- Watermelon helps control heart rate.
- Oranges help maintain great skin and vision.
- Strawberries can potentially fight against cancer and ageing.
- Bananas give lots of energy.
- Pineapples help fight arthritis.
- Blueberries are full of antioxidants and help protect the heart.
- Kiwis increase bone mass.
- Mangos help protect against several kinds of cancer.
Companies that offer fruit and other workplace health initiatives are rated highly by employees, and the natural energy boost provided by fruit far outplays caffeinated beverages and sugary snacks from vending machines.
As well as this, making it easier for employees to make healthy choices in the workplace makes it more likely that they will make healthy choices overall. This boost in essential nutrients can prevent a host of illnesses, which in turn will minimise time off due to sickness.
And, a final benefit: Employees who feel valued and appreciated are always going to be more efficient and effective, and have more loyalty to the company that validates them this way. Overall, access to fruit throughout the office promotes a work environment that is health conscious and low on stress.